- Actos Bladder Cancer Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Zithromax Z-Pak Azithromycin Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Zoloft & SSRI Antidepressant Birth Defect Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Yaz/Yasmin, Ocella & Beyaz Birth Control Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- NuvaRing Birth Control Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Kidney Dialysis Heart Attack, GranuFlo & NaturaLyte Recall Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Vaginal Mesh Sling Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Pradaxa Internal Bleeding Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Unum/UnumProvident Disability Insurance Claim Denial Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Stevens Johnson (SJS) & Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Metal on Metal Replacement Hip Implant Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Mirena IUD Injury Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Dilantin Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Thursday, 20 December 2012 07:00
NuvaRing Lawsuit Trial Dates Moved, Allowing More Plaintiffs to Join
By Andrea Gressman
NuvaRing lawsuit plaintiffs had been excited to hear that a trial date had been set for the NuvaRing lawsuit MDL for May of 2013. However, that has now been moved and will start sometime later in 2013. One report stated that the trial is now set to begin July 8, 2013. This is only one of many delays in the NuvaRing lawsuit litigation process to date. However, on the bright side, this does allow more time for new NuvaRing lawsuits to be filed and potentially join the NuvaRing lawsuit MDL.
U.S. District Judge Rodney Sippel is currently presiding over the NuvaRing MDL. It was recently reported that there are as many as 1,028 NuvaRing lawsuits in the MDL, which is referred to as In re: NuvaRing Products Liability Litigation, No. 08-md-1964, JPML, Eastern District Missouri. The order to move the trial dates came on November 20, 2012 and was order #1423.
NuvaRing Lawsuit Delays Could Increase Chance of Settlements
At this point in time, the NuvaRing lawsuit defendant has made no indication that they intend to settle prior to the trial. However, with this recent delay in the trial and with more opportunity for NuvaRing lawsuits to be filed, this may change the position of the defendant. It is a common tactic to have a small number of plaintiffs go to trial prior to beginning the settlement process. However, with this latest development the defendant may change their tactics to avoid the additional cost of a trial and the potential of a jury awarding a large settlement.
Yaz, Yasmin and Ocella Lawsuits Could Affect the NuvaRing Lawsuits
The NuvaRing lawsuits are very similar to the Yaz, Yasmin and Ocella lawsuits that are going on right now against Bayer Pharmaceuticals. However, Bayer Pharmaceuticals has opted to settle as many of the Yaz, Yasmin and Ocella lawsuits as possible without going to trial, unlike Merck, the manufacturers of NuvaRing. As a result, Bayer has avoided thousands of very expensive trials. It will be interesting to see in the end which manufacturer comes out better financially depending upon their legal strategy.
Common NuvaRing Side Effects
Some of the common NuvaRing Side Effects include the following:
* Vaginal infection or irritation
* Vaginal secretion
* Increased risk of blood clots
* Heart attack
* Pulmonary embolism
* Liver cancer
* Gallbladder disease
* High blood pressure
* Fluid retention
* Breakthrough bleeding or spotting
* Weight gain
* Breast tenderness
* Decreased sex drive
There have been studies that have indicated that the NuvaRing birth control implant has a significantly higher risk of blood clot side effects than that of the oral birth control pills. On May 10, 2012 the British Medical Journal published a study stating that there is as much as a 90% side effect risk increase of blood clots over the traditional birth control pill. The New England Journal of Medicine released a study on June 14, 2012 stating that vaginal birth control implants, like NuvaRing, could result in a rate of a 2.5 to 3-fold increased side effect risk of blood clots.
The FDA has confirmed that they have received over a 1,000 side effect reports of blood clots from NuvaRing patients. This was brought to public awareness in a CBS News San Diego article on September 21, 2012.
If you have experienced a serious side effect after you used the NuvaRing birth control implant, visit the NuvaRing Birth Control Class Action Lawsuit Settlement & Investigation page to learn more about your options. Provide your information and you will receive a free consultation from an experienced NuvaRing lawsuit attorney.
Updated December 20th, 2012
All medical device, dangerous drug and medical class action and lawsuit news updates are listed in the Drug and Medical Device section of Top Class Actions.
Top Class Actions Legal Statement