- Actos Bladder Cancer Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Zithromax Z-Pak Azithromycin Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Zoloft & SSRI Antidepressant Birth Defect Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Stevens Johnson (SJS) & Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis (TEN) Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Unum/UnumProvident Disability Insurance Claim Denial Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Metal on Metal Replacement Hip Implant Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Mesothelioma Asbestos Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation
- Dilantin Stevens Johnson Syndrome (SJS) Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Quinolone Lawsuit: Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox Liver Failure, SJS Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Lipitor Diabetes Lawsuit: Lipitor Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Testosterone Product Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Risperdal Gynecomastia Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Xarelto Side Effects Class Action Lawsuit Investigation
- Thursday, 11 April 2013 14:38
Some Propecia Side Effects May be Permanent
By Anne Bucher
Propecia Side Effects
Finasteride, sold under the brand name Propecia, is a synthetic drug that was approved by the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) in 1997 to treat male pattern baldness and enlarged prostate. While the drug has been shown to have positive results in treating hair loss, it has also been linked to sexual side effects that may continue even after the patient discontinues use of the drug. Some of the most common Propecia side effects include:
- Erectile dysfunction
- Decreased libido
- Problems reaching orgasm
- Brain fog
Plaintiffs Accuse Merck of Failing to Warn of Long-Lasting Propecia Sexual Side Effects
After Propecia was approved by the FDA in 1997, Merck spent hundreds of millions of dollars on direct-to-consumer marketing. These marketing campaigns were extremely successful. Propecia sales nearly reached $450 million in 2010. However, Merck failed to warn consumers about the possibility that Propecia use could potentially have permanent sexual side effects. Some studies have shown that sexual dysfunction continued at least 40 months after the patient stopped taking Propecia. Other studies have found that, in some cases, the Propecia sexual side effects could be permanent.
In 2011, the FDA announced that the Propecia labels would be updated to expand the list of potential sexual side effects. The label also warned that these side effects could continue even after use of the drug had been discontinued.
The U.S. Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation recently consolidated all federal Propecia lawsuits in which plaintiffs alleged sexual dysfunction into multidistrict litigation (MDL). Pretrial proceedings for these Propecia sexual dysfunction cases will be heard by a federal judge in the Eastern District of New York. Plaintiffs continue to join the MDL, seeking damages for their injuries. The plaintiffs accuse Merck of manufacturing and marketing a defective product that poses an unreasonable danger to patients.
Take Legal Action
Hundreds of plaintiffs have alleged that Merck, the manufacturer of Propecia, failed to adequately warn about the potential for long-lasting Propecia sexual side effects that continue even once the patient stops taking the medication. These plaintiffs claim that, as a result of the Propecia side effects, their quality of life has diminished. Many of the plaintiffs have experienced significant medical and counseling expenses.
If you have suffered Propecia sexual dysfunction, visit the Propecia Loss of Sex Drive, Sexual Dysfunction Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Investigation page for more information about your legal rights. By joining a Propecia lawsuit, you may be able to receive compensation for the Propecia injuries you suffered. After you submit your information on the investigation page, a Propecia lawyer will review your information and determine whether you qualify to join a Propecia lawsuit.
Updated April 11th, 2013
All medical device, dangerous drug and medical class action and lawsuit news updates are listed in the Drug and Medical Device section of Top Class Actions.
Top Class Actions Legal Statement